Wednesday 4 July 2012

RCPowers Mig 29 v2 first impressions.

This morning was absolutely beautiful flying weather and, as things usually happen, I had a lot to do today.

We are headed out of town tomorrow so it's check over the car day. A bulb in the headlights of the car blew the other day and one indicator decided it wasn't going to work this morning. New bulbs in the headlights was easy but tracking down the problem with the indicator and installing the parts took a while.

2 cars to wash and packing ate up a lot more time.

By the time I was finished I had about half an hour of daylight left so I grabbed the Mig 29 v2 and ducked out for a quick fly. Sorry, no video!

Setup;

RCTimer 2826-6 2200kv motor (50g)
RCTimer 30A ESC (Medium timing)
Turnigy 2200mAh 3s 20C battery.
APC 6x4E prop.
Elevon only (2 x RCTimer 9018 MG servos)
Orange RX

I made 2 mistakes, one more easily fixed than the other.

First, I used a 50g motor and the mount/slot is for the next size down. I didn't recess the motor further like I usually do because the prop sat comfortably in the prop slot. Not centred but not riding the rear of the slot either. A 2200mAh 3s 20C battery put as far forward as it can go JUST hits the recommended CG after I reinforced the nose with hot glue in the seams to get a little more weight in the front.

If I want to use the 1600mAh battery I had planned on I'm going to have to pull the motor out and recess the mount.

The second mistake was I looked at the throws on the planview PDF and I always end up using more. Since I only put on elevons I though I was safe adding a bit. Nope. For your first flight, stick to the throws on the planview.pdf! After one short flight I popped the clevises off and moved them down a hole. The throws are still a little big but I flew anyway. I didn't mess around anymore because daylight was fading and I didn't want to get it all set up properly with about 30 seconds left to fly!

The Maiden;

This is a very surprising plane.

It trimmed out easily requiring very little to counter torque roll. I got it all trimmed out in a single lap of the field.

Impression number one? It just launches. Easily. I had plenty of time to get my hands back on the sticks, even though it needed up-trim once airborne and I'm using the stock CG (a bit nose heavy). It took me by surprise and I actually pitched the plane up into high alpha thinking I was going to have to counter the nose dropping. Nope!

The second launch was as Smooth with a capital "Smoo".

I have not bevelled or rounded anything yet. The front of the wing with the KF2 is showing 12mm of vertical foam to the wind, the vert stabs aren't rounded off and neither are the front end of the nacelles. Despite this it requires less than half throttle just to tool around the sky which is quite nice. At WOT it's still surprisingly quick too. I pulled the motor/ESC combo out of my RCP J-20 for this one and the speed difference is solid.

The ESC came back hotter than I expected (hotter than than it came back in the J-20). This is a good sign because it means the prop is breathing well and doing it's job, it's not starving for air (making the prop easier to spin) so it's getting the most benefit from the 6x4 prop.

It's not coming back too hot but it's warmer than I'd like so I'm going to move up to a 40A ESC when the opportunity arises though, just to be safe...

Even on elevons only the pitch and roll rate is quite good. I don't think I'm going to be adding Ailerons or putting it on 4x4, it's just not needed. Ailerons are nice because you can keep your roll rate up no matter what your elevons are doing but I just don't think the Mig 29 v2 really needs them.

I didn't push it hard but it had no issues with loops, rolls, a kulbit, an immelman or a split S. Vertical performance is also nice.

My only issue with the plane in it's current state is the large vert stabs. At WOT the drag is pitching the plane up making it climb but it's not savage at all and nothing trimming it out for faster flight won't fix (I trimmed it out at 3/4 throttle).

If you are sitting on an MJv3 and are looking for a v2 to put it in but retain some speed? This will be it. Just make sure you bump your ESC up to a 30A. This plane likes the speed.

I'm really looking forward to spending more time with this plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment